[Live-devel] ProxyServer (Quicktime Plugin Causes Crash)

Bob Bischan bbischan at watchtower-security.com
Mon Dec 16 08:57:10 PST 2013

I have been testing Quicktime Web plugin for viewing streams from
ProxyServer. There appears to be an issue with this plugin that can cause a
crash of ProxyServer.

The test is being performed using the latest live555 (v2013.12.15) and is
only occurring when using Quicktime Plugin 7.7.4 with google chrome on
Windows 7. I am NOT able to reproduce this problem using IE.

Problems with Quicktime have already been noted on this mailing list, so
I'm passing on my findings for info only and to maybe illustrate a
misbehaving client scenario that may need to be considered for exception
handling.

What I have observed is that initial connection and playing of a stream
from ProxyServer works fine, however, if the browser is refreshed while
playing,  ProxyServer crashes. The debug output suggests that a TEARDOWN is
sent to ProxyServer and then immediately after a PAUSE for the same session
id. At this point Proxy crashes. There is also some debug output that shows
transport negotiation that may be part of the problem.

I have attached debug output for review. Any input or suggestions for
troubleshooting this problem is appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob