[Live-devel] Question About PAT/PMT in MPEG2

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Jan 24 17:00:40 PST 2013

> I'm building and iOS application, where I'm using a RTSP Client (based on testRTSPClient) to receive a MPEG2 stream

Because you refer to "PAT" and "PMT" information, I assume you're referring to a MPEG-2 *Transport* stream.  (There are other kinds of MPEG-2 streams as well.)

> and then I'm trying to decode the frames with help of FFMPEG. My question is: Is it possible to obtain the PAT and PMT information  before I  pass the frames to FFMPEG with help of the live555 library, or does the live555 library has nothing to do with this task and it should be handle by FFMPEG?

The latter.  When the RTSP/RTP client receives the MPEG Transport Stream data, it doesn't inspect its contents at all.  So your decoder will need to do that.