[Live-devel] LiveMedia in Windows 8 Application

Jeremiah Morrill Jeremiah.Morrill at econnect.tv
Tue Jul 30 13:08:22 PDT 2013

Hello all,

Windows (8) Store application's do not have access to winsock, which is needed to support liveMedia (mostly the BSD socket functions).  Win8 applications only have access to Windows Runtime Socket COM classes: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/br212061.aspx

I've started a project here (http://winrtsock.codeplex.com/) for a windows runtime winsock façade.  It's still in the very early stages (read: experimental), but liveMedia currently is able to stream RTSP (UDP/TCP) from a Win Store App with this.  The only code change needed was replacing the winsock include to "#include <winrtsock.h>".

I don't have the listen/accept methods finished yet to host an RTSP servers but hope to get that in there soon!

Just thought I'd share as others may want to use this great RTSP library on the win8 platform.

Thanks,

-Jeremiah Morrill