[Live-devel] Confirm absolute time playing position on startup

Erlandsson, Claes P (CERLANDS) CERLANDS at arinc.com
Wed Mar 20 12:03:55 PDT 2013

In the following examples I'm writing about streams that are (in the code)
referred to as indexed by 'absolute' time. For video storage and security I
believe they're often referred to as archive streams.

Seeking while already streaming

When doing a "seek" while the stream is playing, i.e. calling
rtspClient->sendPlayCommand() with a new position to jump to, you will in
the response handler be able to verify the actual position you end up
playing.

scs.session->absStartTime()  could e.g. be 20130318T180327Z.

It's a great way to verify that you got what you asked for. This is of
course very useful as video hiccups are not uncommon.

Start new stream at specific position

When starting a new stream, also by calling rtspClient->sendPlayCommand()
with an absolute position, the behavior appears to be different;
scs.session->absStartTime() then instead returns the timestamp of the
beginning of the stream. That information could be useful, but I'd say the
expected information is to be consistent with how it works when jumping in
the stream while it's already playing.

Is this intended, or is it somehow server dependent?

btw. scs.session->absEndTime()  contains the timestamp for the end of the
stream in both cases.

Is there a way to confirm what position is currently playing when starting
up a stream?

Is there a way to ask for the timestamp that's currently being played at any
given time?

/Claes