[Live-devel] RFC 2435 compliance

Guy.Bonneau at miranda.com Guy.Bonneau at miranda.com
Fri Nov 29 11:31:40 PST 2013

There is no issue with the RFC 2435 Appendix A neither with the live555
procedure to scale a quantization table with a Q factor.  Both are
correct.. If you read the header of Appendix A it clearly states the
reason of the example code :   "The following code can be used to create a
quantization table from a Q factor..." Now when you recompute the
quantization table from a selected Q factor your only scale the 64
quantization values by the same factor. Doing the procedure on zigzag
order on doing it on "standard" non-zigzag order doesn't matter. It will
yield the same "scaled quantization factor".

Jpeg encoding/decoding of spectral component of the picture operate on
block of 64 values. Those value must be processed in zigzag order. If you
use a zigzaged table then the encoding/decoding only increment the index
of the quantization value in the table to get the good quantization value.
However if you use a non-zigzag table then the encoding/decoding must find
and pick-up the good quantization inside the table. This is up to the
implementation of the code.

Guy Bonneau