[Live-devel] mediaServer MP4 support

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Wed Sep 18 18:08:51 PDT 2013

Posts to the mailing list tell me there is some unspecified problem with
the MP4/QuickTime file format related to A/V synchronization, and this
is given as the reason there is no MP4FileServerMediaSubsession class in
the library yet.  (Or equivalently, an MP4FileServerDemux class, so you
could handle MP4 the same as VOB is currently handled.)

It's become increasingly popular with the success of Apple and Android,
and it's an ISO standard besides.  (MPEG-4 part 14, ISO 14496-14.)  This
means there's a lot of software that can produce these files.  It's
popping up in some very surprising places, like PowerPoint 2013.  When
Microsoft starts releasing their grip on their own proprietary formats
in favor of open ones, you know there's a big shift under way.

Remuxing an MP4 file into MPEG-TS is only a partial solution, for
reasons given in my previous post.

What would it take to get MP4 support into live555MediaServer in the
open source distribution?  I expect there's enough information in the
existing liveMedia/QuickTime*.cpp files that I could construct the
missing classes, but we've been trying to use the media server without
changes.  We're not particularly interested in having a proprietary
version just to get such features.