[Live-devel] Lots of Packets Lost When Receiving With VLC

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Aug 12 17:10:58 PDT 2014

>   I have implemented class H264LiveSource so that I can stream real time h.264 video frames. My program captures images with the webcam of my notebook and encodes them. If size is 640x480, vlc player can displayer well. However, if the size is larger,eg.1280x720, vlc player can’t display well, and it seems lots of packets are lost.
>   Why are so many packets lost?

It's difficult to say, because we know so little about your application.

However, I suggest making sure that your "Fr	amedSource" subclass (for delivering H.264 NAL units) is not truncating some frames.  I.e., check that "fMaxSize" is never < your NAL unit size.  (If you are, you can increase your RTP output buffer size by calling "OutPacketBuffer::increaseMaxSizeTo()".

Also, you should use "openRTSP" as a client to test your server, before using VLC.  (VLC is not our software.)