[Live-devel] SDP File streaming

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Jan 28 11:26:28 PST 2014

> Ok, let me explain:
> let's say, i have a H.264 (MKV) movie
> i want to multicast it using ffmpeg
> but in rtp format
> after the multicasting started, the FFMpeg will provide a sdp output like i posted befaure
> we save this sdp file and give it to vlc, it'lle play it
> what i want is to put the sdp file in the root folder of Live555MediaServer, like i used to do with Darwine and just fetch it using:
> rtsp://localhost:8554/movie.sdp

No, this won't work, because the "LIVE555 Media Server" serves only its own streams; not streams that are being delivered by another server.

In any case, you don't need a RTSP server to deliver a ".sdp" file to VLC; instead, you could just use a HTTP server, and have VLC access the file using a "http://" URL.

But the *real* question that you should have asked is:
	Why do I have to multicast a ".mkv" file using 'ffmpeg'?  Why can't I do this using a LIVE555 demo application?

Well now you can.  The most recent "LIVE555 Streaming Media" software release - 2014.01.28 - includes a new demo application (in "testProgs") called "testMKVStreamer", that streams a Matroska file (named "test.mkv") via IP multicast.