[Live-devel] Issues streaming H.264 video from camera to a file

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu May 22 21:25:19 PDT 2014

> I am experiencing issues when saving H.264 video directly from a camera to a file sink (H264VideoFileSink)

What do you mean by saving "directly from a camera"?

Are you recording from a RTSP/RTP stream - e.g., using our "openRTSP" demo application?  In this case, "H264VideoFileSink" does not inspect the incoming H.2164 NAL units; it just writes them to a file (with the "0x00 0x00 0x00 0x01" 'start code' in front).

Or are you (somehow) reading H.264 NAL units from the camera without using RTSP/RTP?  If you're doing this, note that the data that you feed to "H264VideoFileSink" *must* consist of discrete NAL units (i.e., one at a time), *without* any preceding 'start code'.