[Live-devel] Maximum interleaved RTP packet size

Deanna Earley dee.earley at icode.co.uk
Wed Apr 15 03:14:47 PDT 2015

Hello Ross.

We have an open case with one of our RTSP source vendors where RTP streams over interleaved TCP seem to be throttled resulting in dropped frames in situations where the camera increases the frame size.
This does not happen with UDP unicast.
For reference, here's the video explaining the issue to the vendor:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2931731/Bugs/Axis/501898/20150325_101155.mp4

The vendor's response suggests it could be a TCP flow control issue and that we can pass a value to increase the RTP packets:
"If using unicast in combination with TCP, it is recommended to increase the size of the RTP packets to 64 000 bytes (from the standard 1500 bytes), provided that the client can accept larger packets."
Is there a specific upper limit to the packet size that liveMedia's interleaved TCP implementation can handle?

I'm aware that UDP is preferred, but we do allow the use of TCP to allow for better firewall traversal.
(We are discussing internally changing the default to UDP)

Thanks

--
Deanna Earley | Lead developer | icatchercctv

w: www.icode.co.uk/icatcher | t: 01329 835335 | f: 01329 835338
Registered Office : 71 The Hundred, Romsey, SO51 8BZ. Company Number : 03428325