[Live-devel] proxy server

Frank van Eijkelenburg frank.van.eijkelenburg at technolution.nl
Wed Apr 29 01:18:36 PDT 2015

On 29-04-15 09:40, Ross Finlayson wrote:
>> Thank you for your answer. I think I have to tell something more
>> about the application I have to make. It is not only just a simple
>> proxy server, but it has also to deal with unicast streams from
>> network A which has to be forwarded as unicast or multicast streams
>> at network B. Or multicast streams from network A which has to be
>> forwarded as unicast or multicast streams at network B. So I really
>> have to modify the RTSP URLs in my proxy server.
>
> Our proxy server already ‘modifies URLs’.  Or more precisely, it acts
> as a RTSP server of its own, and therefore provides its own RTSP URLs
> to ‘front-end’ clients.  These differ from the URLs that the proxy
> server uses to access the ‘back-end’ streams.
>
> I suggest that you begin by familiarizing yourself with the existing
> “LIVE555 Proxy Server” application, described in
> http://www.live555.com/proxyServer/
>
> This appears to already do most of what you want.  Note, in
> particular, that the proxy server’s ‘back end’ streams (i.e., the
> streams that it receives) can be either unicast or multicast.  (Note,
> however, that the proxy server’s ‘front-end’ streams are unicast only,
> which is not quite what you want; you noted that you want the
> front-end streams to be either unicast or multicast.  It would be
> possible to modify the code to support this, and I could assist you
> with this - but some of this assistance would likely be beyond what I
> can provide ‘for free’ on this mailing list.)
>
> In any case, I suggest that you first familiarize yourself with the
> existing “LIVE555 Proxy Server”.
>

> Ross Finlayson
> Live Networks, Inc.
> http://www.live555.com/

Hi Ross,

Thank you for your patience and quick response. I will have a closer
look at the proxy server code. However, this program (and others, like
the testOnDemandRTSPServer) are creating ServerMediaSessions at startup.
In my case I do not know which streams will be used at startup. I will
receive a clients request (from network A) at runtime and than have to
setup the connection. Furthermore, when nobody is interested anymore in
the (unicast) stream, I have to close it to save bandwidth (at network
B). Could you point me a little more in the correct direction? Do I have
to make my own RTSPServer object (derived from the original)?

Thanks in advace.
--

Met vriendelijke groeten / With kind regards,

*Frank van Eijkelenburg* Lead Designer

*T* +31(0)182594000 | *E* frank.van.eijkelenburg at technolution.nl
*A*Burgemeester Jamessingel 1, P.O. Box 2013, 2800 BD Gouda, The
Netherlands | *W*technolution.com

This e-mail is intended exclusively for the addressee(s), and may not be
passed on to, or made available for use by any person other than the
addressee(s). Technolution B.V. rules out any and every liability
resulting from any electronic transmission.