[Live-devel] Broadcasting to UDP?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sun Aug 30 20:18:24 PDT 2015

> On Aug 30, 2015, at 4:43 PM, Marco (Xanatos Marine) <marco at xanatosmarine.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks Ross,
>
> I modified "testH264VideoStream" by replacing
>
>     ServerMediaSession* sms
>         = ServerMediaSession::createNew(*env, "testStream", inputFileName,
>         "Session streamed by \"testH264VideoStreamer\"",
>         True /*SSM*/);
>
> with
>     ServerMediaSession* sms
>         = ProxyServerMediaSession::createNew(*env, rtspServer,
>         "rtsp://<ip address>/axis-media/media.amp?camera=1", "testStream”);

That has *exactly* the same effect as just running the “LIVE555 Proxy Server”!  In other words, all clients that connect to the RTSP server will get their own, unicast copy of the stream.  That’s what the “ProxyServerMediaSession” object does.

Note that if you have N front-end clients to this proxy server, then there will be N+1 total streams on the network: the original ‘back-end’ stream from the camera, plus the N front-end stream copies.  Thus, even if you have just one ‘front-end’ client, you will have two copies of the stream on the network.  You’re probably running into network capacity issues (unless you’re also seeing error messages about “dropped” or “truncated” data).