[Live-devel] Using RTP/RTCP over TCP, sendDataOverTCP retry

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sun Jul 19 14:08:46 PDT 2015

> No, not quite.  From image quality point of view I’m not satisfied, just dropping datagrams is bad for inter frame video protocols (H264), it hurts image quality badly.

Tough shit.  Your stream is exceeding the capacity of your network.  If this is a permanent condition then the only alternative to losing data is to not try to transmit your stream ‘real time’.  E.g., instead, you could buffer your stream at the source and store it - as one or more files - on a HTTP server, and have your clients access these file(s) via HTTP.

If your network capacity issues are temporary, however, then they *might* be alleviated by retransmission-based repair, or (more likely) by FEC (“forward error correction”).  RTP-based standards for both of these exist, but we don’t yet implement them.

Anyway, I’ve just installed a new version (2015.07.19) of the “LIVE555 Streaming Media” code that includes the previously-mentioned change to “RTPInterface.cpp”.