[Live-devel] Using RTP/RTCP over TCP, sendDataOverTCP retry

Erik Oomen erik.oomen at zepcam.com
Sun Jul 19 15:24:47 PDT 2015

> Op 19 jul. 2015 om 23:08 heeft Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live555.com> het volgende geschreven:
>
>> No, not quite.  From image quality point of view I’m not satisfied, just dropping datagrams is bad for inter frame video protocols (H264), it hurts image quality badly.
>
> Tough shit.  Your stream is exceeding the capacity of your network.

For a very short timeframe yes, however  it is not that bad to justify dropped packets IMHO. On this link I can rsync stored h264 data (1Gbyte of data) with a sustained rate of nearly 100Mbit. I cannot believe that a single 1564kbit stream suffers that much on the same link.  We stream MPEG2 TS over tcp or rtmp without any problem.

>  If this is a permanent condition then the only alternative to losing data is to not try to transmit your stream ‘real time’.

I wish I could. However, this is live surveillance data,

> If your network capacity issues are temporary,

I am going to analyze the traffic, these symptoms when using live555 might indicate something... This is a professional setup hosted in a datacenter.

> Anyway, I’ve just installed a new version (2015.07.19) of the “LIVE555 Streaming Media” code that includes the previously-mentioned change to “RTPInterface.cpp”

great, thank you for the new version!