[Live-devel] A question about live555 Media Server download

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Jul 22 04:55:30 PDT 2015

Xiaoyi,

First, if you haven’t already done so, please read
	http://live555.com/liveMedia/faq.html#copyright-and-license <http://live555.com/liveMedia/faq.html#copyright-and-license>
to familiarize yourself with your obligations under the LGPL.  (I urge you also to consult with your company’s legal department if you have any specific questions about your company’s legal obligations when using this software.)

Provided that you comply with the other requirements of the LGPL, there would be no problem with you distributing a product that uses an old version of our software.  You would simply have to make available - to users of your product - your own copy of this old version of the software (because we don’t carry old versions on our site), as well as any modifications that you may make.  I.e., you would ask users to download a copy of the “LIVE555 Streaming Media” software from your own site, rather than from ours.

However, I strongly encourage you to try to keep up-to-date with the latest version of the “LIVE555 Streaming Media” software whenever possible.  The reason is simple: The latest version is intended to be an improvement on previous versions - usually fixing bugs (including, potentially, security vulnerabilities).  We don’t make available (nor support on this mailing list) old versions of the software simply because we want to discourage people from using software that we know is buggy.