[Live-devel] proxy servers in a chain

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri May 29 00:35:52 PDT 2015

> Suppose proxy server 1 and 2 are chained, but each other in a separate LAN (and different PCs). The correct startup order (in my opinion) is: start back-end stream (for instance a camera); launch proxy server 2 (which communicates with the camera); register URL at proxy server 2; launch proxy server 1 (which communicates with proxy server 2); register URL at proxy server 1. If the proxy server 2 is restarted, do I have to register the URL at the first proxy server again?

It depends.  If - when you registered each URL - you asked the target to reuse the same TCP connection to access the back-end stream, then yes, you’ll probably have to register it again.  Otherwise, you shouldn’t need to (because the URL will be unchanged each time, and the proxy server should automatically detect that it needs to reestablish communication with its back end).