[Live-devel] Smaller MTU

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Apr 21 11:21:11 PDT 2016

> I have a RTSP Server implementation working ok, based on testOnDemandRTSPServer.
> Now, I want to apply this implementation in a network that has an smaller MTU than the standard one(MTU:1300).
> Live555 is very smart, so the packets throw through this network are splitted in two parts, that’s perfect, but the second packet is small and causes that network has to deal with more packets.
> In order to reduce the number of packets which my server sends through the net, I want to tell Live555 to reduce the size of the packets to fit into the smaller MTU.
>
> I read that I can change it in MultiFramedRTPSink, but I don’t use this class in my code, so changing setPacketSizes doesn’t seem to change anything.

If you’re using our RTSP server implementation to stream RTP packets, then you are certainly using (one or more subclasses of) “MultiFramedRTPSink”, so calling “setPacketSizes()” will work.

The place to call this function is in your implementation of the “createNewRTPSink()” virtual function, in each subclass of “OnDemandServerMediaSubsession” that you implement.  I.e., in your “createNewRTPSink()” implementation, after you’ve created the “RTPSink” *(subclass) object (it will actually be a subclass of “MultiFramedRTPSink”), then you call “setPacketSizes()” on it.

In other words, you can’t just use one of the predefined subclasses of “OnDemandServerMediaSubsession”; you would need to subclass it, and reimplement “createNewRTPSink()”.

ps. A reminder that if you use the “LIVE555 Streaming Media” code in a network camera, you are subject to the conditions of the LGPL; see http://live555.com/liveMedia/faq.html#copyright-and-license