[Live-devel] Some questions about network infrastructure

Mathijs Vos | Thimeo Audio Technology B.V. mathijs at thimeo.com
Mon Feb 15 00:59:27 PST 2016

Hi,

I’ve got a few questions about streaming with RTP and network infrastructure. It is not entirely clear to me how to set up the infrastructure. I have a single server, streaming a single signal to a single client. The server and client need not be on the same network. I read that RTP is not designed for use with a server behind a NAT router. Why is this? I’d say the server could just send packets and NAT should be transparent, but apparently this is not the case. Is there any way to make this work, or is setting up a VPN connection the only way? I tried setting the ReceivingInterfaceAddr to my remote IP address, but then the server is unable to open a socket.

Is RTP even the right choice in my scenario?

Thanks,

Mathijs