[Live-devel] srtp support for the live555 library

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sun May 29 20:08:25 PDT 2016

> I’m considering using live555 for RTSP server support. However I require srtp support.  FAQ indicates that’s in the TODO list .  Do you have an Idea on timeline for  srtp support?

The problem with SRTP in RTSP is that it has been defined only for RTSP 2.0 - which almost nobody (including us) currently implements.  It would be possible, in principle, to retrofit it to RTSP 1.0, but if we were to do that, our implementation wouldn’t be able to interoperate with anyone else’s.

So don’t expect to see SRTP in RTSP anytime soon.  Where we do implement SRTP (currently, only experimentally) is in our WebRTC demo
	http://webrtc.live555.com/
This allows a RTSP stream to be received by WebRTC-compatible web browsers (without a ‘plugin’).

In general, I have a policy of ignoring "are we there yet?" questions on this mailing list.  However, I will note my most recent posting about the WebRTC/SRTP support:
	http://lists.live555.com/pipermail/live-devel/2016-February/019925.html