[Live-devel] Live555 for Windows as DLL (LGPL)

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Feb 15 01:23:20 PST 2017

> I know LiveMedia does not support builds as a shared library.

That’s not true at all.  Notice that we have a “config.linux-with-shared-libraries” configuration file.  This lets you compile the code - for Linux - so that it will use shared libraries.  (We make this possible precisely because of the LGPL license.)

People are welcome to develop and use configuration files that make it possible to use shared libraries with other OSs.

Some people, however, have said that they cannot use our code with shared libraries, on Windows, using Microsoft Visual Studio, unless they modify the code by adding lots of non-standard Microsoft-specific crap (to function definitions, etc.).  Although you might be able to find ’third parties' who have modified the code in this way, we will not be doing this ourself - because it should not have been necessary.  (Also we would not, of course, support such ‘third party’ code.)

One alternative - if you still want to use Windows - might be for you to use the “Cygwin” environment:
	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cygwin
I think you can probably use this to build the code as if you were on a Linux system - e.g., using the "config.linux-with-shared-libraries” configuration file.