[Live-devel] How to get the time_scale value from H264/RTSP stream

Sergio Andrés Basurco Mancisidor sergio.b at coherentsynchro.com
Thu Sep 28 14:35:19 PDT 2017

Hi Ross,
Thanks for your reply.
Indeed I am using Live555 as the RTSP client side, and I'm able to connect
and receive the NAL units and the sps-pps information from the camera.

Maybe you're right and my issue is completely on the decoding side, as I'm
failing to find the timestamp values that will allow me to playback the
stream.

Specifically, I receive a "presentationTimestamp" from Live555 together
with the NAL unit. I am not certain on how to use it in order to
synchronize playback.

Let me ask you, do you know about the RTP payload for H264? From what I can
tell there's a relationship between the 90kHz and the timestamps presented
by Live's RTSP client. Is 90kHz the time scale for those timestamps? And
how do those timestamps relate to the encoded stream?

I understand these questions may fall out of the library's scope. In any
case, thank you very much.