[Live-devel] i want WEBRTC code of live555

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Thu Aug 29 14:13:53 PDT 2019

On Aug 29, 2019, at 10:39 AM, Vishnu Mohan <vishnu.mohan at vvdntech.in> wrote:

>   I meant to say is there a reason/s why Webrtc is not a good method for webserver based streaming implementations ?

Ross said in his first reply that he had a bunch of compatibility problems.  I haven’t tried to implement anything involving WebRTC myself, but this does not surprise me.  A web search for "webrtc interoperability” turns up a lot of blogs written by people in pain.

But I’m confused about having “webserver based” and “streaming” in the same sentence. Is this live video or is it video-on-demand, from files?

I ask because web servers are best at VoD (file) serving, which isn’t really WebRTC’s focus in the first place.  And if that’s your use case, have you tried just plain old HTTP file serving?  Unless you need bit rate adaptability, more complicated schemes aren’t usually needed.

On the other hand, if you’re trying to do some kind of live video streaming, why is there a web server involved in the first place?  I don’t mean to ask why you’re tunnelling stuff over HTTP; there are many good reasons for that, and I don’t much care what your particular reasons are.  What I’m asking is why you’d use generic file serving technology that you’d call “a web server” for this?  Dedicated software sounds like a better idea for such a specialized task.

When I think “web server,” I think of Apache, nginx, IIS… These are not video streaming servers.  You can arm-twist them into that role, but it’s not their intended purpose.