[Live-devel] UDP RTSP Stream

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Feb 19 14:17:04 PST 2019

> The part you’re concerned about is the stream that’s negotiated via RTSP, which is most probably going to be either RTP — which almost always runs over UDP — or raw UDP.  You have to go out of your way in Live555 to get RTP-over-HTTP, which is the only TCP-based protocol I believe Live555 supports.

A slight correction here.  There are two kinds of 'over-TCP' streaming: RTP-over-RTSP, and RTP-over-HTTP.  RTP-over-RTSP reuses the (single) TCP channel that the RTSP protocol used to set up the stream.  RTP-over-HTTP uses a pair of TCP channels - set up using HTTP “GET” and “POST” commands - to run RTSP (and then RTP-over-RTSP is used to stream the RTP packets over the “GET” channel).

But Warren’s correct in saying that it’s the client - not the server - that decides what type of streaming happens.