[Live-devel] Code sample to use the REGISTER command

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Feb 4 13:25:14 PST 2020

The “registerRTSPStream” application can be used to register a stream with a remote RTSP client.  However, this cannot be used to connect a server (behind a NAT) to a (public) client, reusing the TCP connection.  To do that, you would need to send the RTSP “REGISTER” command from *within* the server itself.

If your RTSP server - behind a NAT - is an ‘off the shelf’ device (such as a network camera) that you cannot change, then you can’t use this feature.  Instead, you would need to change the implementation of the server.  I.e., this feature is intended to be used by *developers* of RTSP servers.

However, if you are developing a RTSP server using *our* implementation, then you can register one of the server’s streams with a remote client by using the “RTSPServer::registerStream()” function (see “liveMedia/include/RTSPServer.hh”, lines 47-62).

Also, our “openRTSP” client application can receive and handle “REGISTER” commands; see the section "Playing a stream without knowing its "rtsp://“ URL” here: http://live555.com/openRTSP/#other-options  And, of course, our “LIVE555 Proxy Server” can do the same (for back-end streams).