[Live-devel] .mkv and Quick Time

Jim Ham jimham at porcine.com
Tue Oct 26 23:10:17 PDT 2021

I have no personal experience here. One of my testers replied as follows:

"I couldn't open these in QuickTime Player. Got the following message.
Google search suggests this was supported in older versions, but can't
find anything that speaks to the current version. Maybe it works with QT
on windows? but that would totally be weird... "

She attached a screen shot the showed a pop-up from Quick Time that read:
"QuickTime Player cannot open <my URL> because it does not recognize
internet addresses starting with "rtsp"."

Another one of my testers replied:

"QuickTime Player doesn’t support mkv files (though it certainly does
support H.264, so perhaps we’d have the option of converting to also
have a .mov format or other envelope). Something to consider down the
road, but I don’t think it’s asking too much to have people use VLC.
There are other mkv players available, but VLC is by far the best free
one for Mac."

That's all I have.

Jim

On 10/26/2021 10:56 PM, Ross Finlayson wrote:

>> On Oct 27, 2021, at 6:31 PM, Jim Ham <jimham at porcine.com> wrote:
>>
>> I've been testing our (your) server with users, apparently Quick Time no longer supports .mkv files. VLC works fine on a Mac. What's up with Apple?
>
> Can you clarify what you mean here?
>
> When you say "Quick Time no longer supports .mkv files”, do you mean that:
> 	“Apple's QuickTime Player client application no longer plays RTSP/RTP streams that happen to originate from .mkv files served by our RTSP server”?
>
> If that’s the case, then does the QuickTime Player client play RTSP/RTP streams that originate from any *other* kind of file served by our RTSP server?  Does the QuickTime Player client currently play any RTSP/RTP streams at all??
>
> Are you simply saying that on our web page here
> 	http://live555.com/mediaServer/
> we should no longer list “QuickTime Player” as being one of the "standards-compliant RTSP/RTP media clients”?
>

> Ross Finlayson
> Live Networks, Inc.
> http://www.live555.com/

Porcine Associates LLC