[Live-devel] Getting the h264 video bytes

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Mar 25 09:04:40 PDT 2022

> On Mar 25, 2022, at 11:33 PM, stevee <stevee at fusionproc.com> wrote:
>
> Hello, I have been looking at and compiling the test apps for a few days and trying to work out the general structure of the libraries.
>
> I am wishing to look at the video stream bytes from an IP camera in order to generate some statistics on it. I have compiled the test proxy which works just great at forwarding the RTSP stream to a player.

You should first ask if you really want to be watching a stream while you’re collecting stats on it.  If not, then you can probably do what you want by running just a RTSP client rather than a RTSP proxy server.  In particular, you could run “openRTSP”, using the “-Q” option; see
	http://www.live555.com/openRTSP/

> My main issue is working out what strategy I should be using to get to the sink bytes but essentially I keep running into the problems whereby whatever class I override needs private members of base classes to access the data. I think its just my unfamiliarity with the library and RTSP in general.
>
> I have overridden the proxy's transcoding table and trying to insert a new overridden FramedFilter so that I could call getNextFrame and handle the doGetNextFrame by simply passing the data along.

This would be the simplest way, as this (the transcoding table) was the mechanism by which I intended the “LIVE555 Proxy Server” to be customized to allow the incoming media (from a back-end server) to be ‘processed’ before being re-transmitted to front-end clients.  In this case, however, the ‘processing’ would just be to collect statistics, not to actually ’transcode’ the data.  And, as you noted, this would be codec specific; you’d need to do the same thing for each codec that you’re interested in.