[Live-devel] Retrieving progress / status

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Oct 20 03:10:07 PDT 2023

> On Oct 20, 2023, at 11:39 AM, Andy Hawkins <Andy.Hawkins at uniguest.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> We're using live555 to proxy RTSP streams, by adding a ProxyServerMediaSession to an RTSP server.
>
> Is there any way to retrieve progress / status of the connection to the 'source' RTSP server? I'm interested in whether socket connections fail, whether there's an error returned by the 'DESCRIBE' call, that sort of thing.

First, note that the “ProxyServerMediaSession” implementation automatically reconnects to the ‘back-end’ RTSP server whenever its connection fails (and/or it detects that the stream is no longer alive).  So there is nothing that you should need to do yourself to recover from this.

If you want to see more information about what the “ProxyServerMediaSession” is doing to recover, then you could pass a value of 2 as the “verbosityLevel” parameter (equivalent to running “live555ProxyServer” with the “-V” option), to get enhanced error output (to ’stderr’).  If you want to do more than this, you could subclass (or, at worst, modify) “ProxyServerMediaSubsession”, but then you’re on your own.